Frederick Christopher "Chris" Klein (born March 14, 1979) is an American movie actor. He is perhaps best known for playing Chris "Oz" Ostreicher in the 1999 film American Pie and its sequel American Pie 2. Klein has subsequently appeared in several films catering to teenage audiences, with the most recent including Just Friends (2005) and American Dreamz (2006).
Klein also appeared in Anthony Marsh, Jr 's Power Rangers LG: The Rise of Trakeena fanfilm to Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy , portraying the role of Villamax XXIV . The film is expected for a June 29, 2011 release.
- Klein was born and raised in Hinsdale, Illinois, the son of Terese, a kindergarten teacher, and Fred Klein, an engineer.[
- Klein was the second of three children. His older sister Debbie was born in 1978, and his younger brother was born in 1982. As a child, Klein had his first on stage experience by singing “This Little Light of Mine” in a community theater at the Sheraton Convention Center in Chicago. He lived in the town for thirteen years before his family moved to Omaha, Nebraska.
- At Millard West High School, Klein acted in his high school's performance of West Side Story, and played cornerback and linebacker for the football team. In his senior year, Klein was offered his first professional acting job by director Alexander Payne, who was scouting Omaha, his hometown, as a potential filming location for the filmElection. He attended Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas.
- After auditioning for Election, Payne chose Klein and they began filming.
- In April 1999, the film was released to positive reviews. Soon after, Klein found a steady amount of work in the film industry while briefly attending TCU, where he studied theater and was a member of theLambda Chi Alpha fraternity. He was next seen in American Pie, which opened on July 9, 1999, and was a box office success. Klein has subsequently appeared in several films catering to teenage audiences, with the most recent including Just Friends (2005) and American Dreamz (2006).
- In January 2000, Klein and actress Katie Holmes began dating. He proposed to her in 2004, but the two broke off the engagement in early 2005.
- Klein was arrested for drunk driving on February 5, 2005 in San Diego County. Klein was arrested again in Los Angeles, California on June 16, 2010, for driving while drunk. On June 21, 2010, it was announced that Klein had checked into the Cirque Lodge to begin a 30-day alcohol addiction program. Klein's publicist explained that "after recent events, Chris was forced to take a clear look at a problem he has been trying to deal with himself for years. He understands now that he can not beat this disease alone."